Become a host agency - Aboriginal Traineeship Program 2018
The Public Sector Commission invites public sector agencies across metropolitan and regional Western Australia, to register their interest in hosting a trainee as part of the 2018 Aboriginal Traineeship Program.
The program commenced in 2012 as an initiative to improve employment outcomes for Aboriginal people under the commitment of the Attract, appoint and advance: An employment strategy for Aboriginal people.
The program is a combination of an employment, training, mentoring and support service and is centrally coordinated and funded by the Commission.
- be employed full-time by the Commission for a period of 12 months
- earn a trainee wage, based on age and final year of schooling completed
- be hosted by a public sector agency
- receive agency support, including mentoring through the Public Sector Commission to complete the traineeship
- develop relevant public administration skills
- work towards the completion of a Certificate III in Government (Public Administration), a nationally recognised qualification
- need to identify as Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander Australians.
Agencies continued support allows the sector to promote youth employment and contributes to building a culturally secure and inclusive workplace, improving employment outcomes for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people. The program also provides mentorship and leadership development opportunities for staff supervising trainees.
The agency is responsible for:
- providing trainees with an agency-specific induction
- nominating a supervisor to allocate tasks and provide support to trainees
- working with the mentors to monitor progress and identify any workplace issue/s
- identifying employment opportunities within the agency for trainees who successfully complete their traineeship
- providing a minimum four week notice to the Public Sector Commission should the agency wish to cease their hosting arrangement.
Through the duration of the program, the Commission’s Diversity and Employment team will provide support and consultation with allocated Aboriginal Mentors conducting workplace visits.
To register your interest, please fill out the application form and submit it to the Public Sector Commission via email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note that the agency’s CHRO/Human Resource Manager will need to endorse the nomination.
Applications are now open until 16 March 2018.