Murdoch University launches new graduate qualification in public administration
The Sir Walter Murdoch School of Public Policy at Murdoch University has launched a new graduate qualification in public administration aimed at current and future local, state and national level public servants.
The Graduate Certificate in Public Administration will provide core skills and understanding of key contemporary issues in public policy, management and administration, and also provide an alternative entry route for those wishing to pursue studies at the Masters level.
Upon completion, graduates will be able to:
- understand contemporary trends and developments in public administration, public sector management, financial budgeting and management in both developed and developing countries
- demonstrate the ability to apply relevant theories in explaining and analysing real world public policy, public sector administration and management problems.
The course comprises four units which are available in an intensive format with all units being available in internal, external and mixed format, giving students the option of moving between online and on-campus study as they choose.
- SWM515 Public Sector Management (Semester 1)
- SWM532 Financial Administration and Budgeting (Semester 1)
- SWM516 Policy Research and Evaluation (Semester 2)
- SWM651 Comparative Governance and Public Administration (Semester 2)
Professor Benjamin Reilly, School Dean, Sir Walter Murdoch School of Public Policy and International Affairs said, ‘the School offers students a unique opportunity to engage with big policy issues, develop high-level skills and build career opportunities through professional Masters degrees and other graduate programs’.
‘This course provides key skills for current and future public servants, while also providing a ‘nested’ entry option into masters programs in Public Policy and Management, International Affairs, Development Studies, and Health Administration, Policy and Leadership. All units are available under the public sector Study assistance scheme’.
‘As the top-ranked program in WA on two recent surveys of research and teaching, we welcome students with undergraduate degrees in any subject, and offer advance standing to those who already have a background in public policy and international affairs,’ Professor Reilly said.
Please go to www.murdoch.edu.au/Sirwalterschool/ for more information