Australia’s Public Sector: Fit for Purpose. Fit for the Future
IPAA’s inaugural National Event Series arrives in Perth on the 23rd of August. Don’t miss this opportunity to be part of the national discussion about the readiness of the public sector to meet imminent challenges.
The conversation will consider the challenges of maintaining faith in the traditional values of public administration and the opportunities for bold innovation in the sector. IPAA National President, Professor Peter Shergold AC FIPAA, will deliver a keynote presentation on the theme of rebuilding trust in public purpose.
He will be joined on the program by some of Western Australia’s leading influencers and thinkers in public service design and delivery.
Hear the latest thinking from across Australia in Prof Shergold’s address, before local leaders provide essential insight into the critical challenges and opportunities facing public service delivery in our state over coming decades.
Ideas discussed in this session will contribute to a final report to the 2018 IPAA National Conference in October.
Key issues to be explored
The conversation will be future-focused and consider the challenges and opportunities for the sector. Issues may include, but will not be limited to:
- disruptive cognitive technologies (e.g. advanced robotics, automation of knowledge work, the Internet of Things, the Cloud, Artificial Intelligence, machine learnings, big data analytics)
- the use of systems approaches and human-centred design to tackle complex problems
- innovation in the face of cross-cutting challenges (e.g. climate change, ageing, socio-economic inequality and the future of work)
- citizen engagement and digital democracy
- applying behavioural insights to public purpose
- creating effective cross-sectoral collaboration for public impact
- restoring trust in government, public institutions and the value of non-partisan expertise.
Vice-President, IPAA WA
Director General, Department Water and Environmental Regulation
Prof. Peter Shergold AC FIPAA
President, IPAA National;
Chancellor, Western Sydney University
Peter Shergold is now the Chancellor of Western Sydney University. He had a distinguished career in the Australian Public Service, including as Secretary of the Department of the Prime Minister and Cabinet. He now serves as a director on the boards of both private and community sector organisations. He also remains active in public administration at both the Commonwealth and State level, including in the areas of higher education, vocational education, public administration, refugee resettlement, Medicare Data and the development of Western Sydney
Colin Murphy PSM FIPAA
President, IPAA WA
Director General, Department of the Premier and Cabinet
Sue Ash AO
Deputy Chair, State Emergency Management Committee
Cr Lynne Craigie
President, Western Australian Local Government Association
Dates & registration
There are no dates listed for this event.