Read at Speed
How to Speed Up Your Reading — Yet Improve Your Retention
This course is aimed at all those in the public sector who have large amounts of written information to read, process and take action on. Including emails, many of us spend up to 30% of our working day reading. This speed reading workshop aims to provide everyone who reads at work with the skills to significantly increase their reading speed, while also improving their comprehension and memory of what they have read. Even increasing our reading speed by 100 words a minute will considerably improve our retention and overall productivity.
By the end of this course, participants will understand what happens in our brains when we read and how we may better process and remember information. They will discover new, speedier and more efficient ways of reading, which they will be able to use immediately in their workplace.
- understanding how we read
- identifying and analysing the bad habits that prevent us reading effectively
- preparing for reading
- practising the simple techniques that enable us to read faster
- identifying which techniques may work best in various scenarios
- developing memory in reading
- learning how to skim documents at a rapid rate.
By the end of this course participants should be able to:
- identify which methods will best enable them increase their reading speed
- know how to improve their comprehension and retention while reading at speed
- calculate their reading speeds and test themselves for comprehension and retention
- employ a variety of strategies to overcome poor reading habits
- apply visual pacing to eliminate regression and boost reading speed
- know how to reduce fixating on only a few words at a time
- know how to vary their reading speed, depending on the level of difficulty of the material.
- learn how to scope material to obtain an overview of contents and access specific information
- apply speed reading techniques to reading on a screen
Benefits to Your Organisation
- members of staff who read at speed will increase their productivity.
- individuals will have more confidence in their reading ability and their capacity to process and remember important information.
Benefits to You
- You will save a lot of time by being able to speed read.
- You will be able to remember more of what you read.
- You will be able to apply speed-reading techniques whenever you feel them appropriate to your reading.
- You will feel more confident in your reading and retention.